Many users use two routers at a time with their home Wi-Fi network. They use Eero in conjunction with the router provided by ISP. This is done to use the modem-router in combination. If you are using the sole Eero router, then this post is not for you but if you are using both the routers, then must read the content.
Why disable Wi-Fi on the ISP equipment?
Connecting Eero to the ISP provided modem doesn’t create any nuisance, rather it will enhance the Wi-Fi performance. Meanwhile, if you are using any other Wi-Fi network at home, then this can create a problem. To prevent this problem, it is recommended to disable Wi-Fi which is not connected to the Eero Installation.
Issues occur with multiple Wi-Fi: The potential issues that may arise when connecting multiple networks at home include:
- Wireless interference.
- Devices will keep on switching from one network to another.
- Weak signal or low network coverage when devices try to connect to Non-Eero Wi-Fi.
- Unable to communicate with streaming media devices, gaming consoles, and printers.
Steps to disable
As the modem or router provided by the ISP doesn’t get adjusted or edited from the Eero Help app, so you have to connect the router to the computer via cable and edit the settings through ISP online portal.
Manual adjustment steps
- First of all, connect the modem-router to the Ethernet port of your computer with the help of Ether cable. You can connect it to any of the four ports.
- Open a web browser from the device and key in the gateway IP address into address space.
- The router IP address varies from company to company. You can check the correct IP address from the sticker pasted at the back of the hardware model. For more information, contact ISP.
- After opening the page from the web browser, you need to log in with the default credentials. The default credentials can also be checked from the same info sticker underside router.
- Go to ‘Settings’ page from the home dashboard and click on the variety of settings available. Search via keywords like Network settings or ‘Wireless settings’.
- From here, you will find the ‘disable Wi-Fi’ option, click to continue. You may find toggle or checkbox to disable this option. Click according to the given option. If may find it by the name ‘SSID’, Broadcast or ‘Radio’, whatever the name is, you need to focus on disabling the wi-fi.
Web portal method
If you know the details of the web portal provided by the internet service provider, then you can change the settings directly from there and implementing the same steps with one major difference. Besides connecting the device to the router physically, just open the ISP’s web page from the device and log in with the subscriber account information. Once you are on the router settings page, click to search for ‘Disable Wi-Fi broadcast’ option. This option is generally available under ‘Network settings’ menu.
After disabling this Wi-Fi, you will find the only SSID with Eero Wi-Fi name. All the devices will now be connected to this SSID.